According to the Georgia Pecan Commission, a 1-ounce serving of pecans contains 196 calories, 2.7 grams dietary fiber, antioxidants, and over 19 vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B1, thiamin, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- As a good source of vitamin E, pecans can increase the levels of vitamin E in the blood which has been linked with less decline of mental function with age.
- Pecans are noted as a good source of omega-3 fatty acids (heart-healthy fat) which may help prevent depression and improve your ability to think clearly.
- The oleic acid found in pecans may actually help lower your LDL "bad" cholesterol levels.
- Eating heart-healthy pecans may in fact reduce the risk of stroke by decreasing blood pressure.
- Some studies indicate that eating pecans can reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes.
- Magnesium is the fourth most abundant element in the brain. Eating pecans can help replenish the body's magnesium supply which may reduce depression, anxiety, and confusion.
- According to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition pecans are one of the top ten foods with the highest antioxidant content per serving. Just ahead of blueberries, the antioxidant-rich pecans may help fend off free radical damage to brain cells and fight against prostate and breast cancers. And this just in: the USDA has determined that pecans contain more antioxidants than any other tree nut.
- Pecans are a nutrient-dense source of fiber and protein while they contain no sodium or cholesterol. More good news when you care for your heart.
- Studies show that nuts, pecans in this case, may help with weight loss by increasing metabolic rates and satiety (pecans add interesting flavor to any diet).
With the above evidence in mind, pecans are approved by the American Heart Association as part of a heart-healthy diet.
It's recommended to eat a serving of nuts a day (a serving of nuts is 1/3 cup). Pecans Pecans are grown in South Georgia, so reach for a North American nut and order your Fresh Georgia Pecans today!